Goan egg curry is a spicy masala egg curry which is popular in Goa. Goan cuisine is famous for its rich variety of non-veg dishes. Coconut and chilies are the main ingredients that give the unique taste to the recipes.
Spicy Goan egg curry recipe.
- medium -Onion, sliced - 1
- dry/ Fresh coconut - ¼ cup
- green chilies - 3
- ginger, chopped - 1
- garlic clove - 1
- cloves - 3
- cinnamon stick - 1 inch
- black pepper corns - 1
- red chillies - 3
- Coriander seeds - 2 tbsp
- Fennel seeds - 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Red chili powder (optional, for more spicyness) - 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste -
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Finely slice the onion and chop the green chilies, garlic and ginger. Keep them aside.
- Heat a pan on medium flame and add the 1 tsp. of oil into it.
- When oil heats up, add cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaves. Sauté them for 1 minute. Then take out into the plate.
- Then add dry red chilies, coriander seeds and black pepper cons. Saute them for 1 minute and take out into the same plate.
- Add the remaining oil into the same pan and then add sliced onion, chopped ginger and chopped garlic. Fry till onion turns light golden in color.
- Add dry coconut and fry till the coconut slightly turns its color.
- Allow the fried ingredients to cool down. Then grind it smooth paste.
- Pour the masala paste into another pan and add ½ cup of water. Bring it to boil.
- Add the salt and mix well.
- Break one egg and whisk it.Add the whisked egg to the boiled masala. Cook it for 5 minutes.
- Then break the remaining eggs and cook them without disturbing them. Cover and cook them for 10 minutes.
- Give the stir in between, so that the masala cooks evenly.
- Turn off the flame.
Egg masala is always served with steamed plain rice.